Cortland Medical Center Clinical Services
Acute and Inpatient Care
Guthrie Cortland’s medical-surgical units (2 South and 3 South) and the intensive care unit (ICU) are where patients come to heal and to receive higher-level, inpatient treatments. All rooms feature state-of-the-art monitoring systems and are staffed by an interdisciplinary team of dedicated providers who are focused on helping you get you well.
- Our 28 medical/telemetry bed units offer greater freedom of movement for those patients requiring less invasive cardiac monitoring.
- Our 8-bed ICU is staffed by specially trained nurses and technicians focused on providing the highest level of care to our patients and their families.
During your inpatient stay your care will be managed by a member of our hospitalist team. These internal medicine specialists serve as your healthcare team “captains.” They are onsite and available, 24 hours a day, seven days a week 365 days a year. Your hospitalist will order any necessary tests, coordinate your treatment and discharge, and share all important treatment information with your primary care physician.
Cancer Care at the Renzi Cancer Center
The new Renzi Cancer Center at Guthrie Cortland Medical Center offers the latest technology and full array of comprehensive cancer care services.
The new Cancer Treatment Center provides a single, convenient point where you can access multi-disciplinary care in radiation and medical oncology treatments, eliminating travel to other communities for care and reducing travel between treatment facilities locally. Locating the new facility next to Guthrie Cortland Medical Center will further enhance your care.
When Kelly Phillips, RN was diagnosed with breast cancer, she knew she had options for her treatment and care. There was only one choice for Kelly — the doctors and nurses of Cortland’s cancer care team.
Guthrie Cortland Medical Center offers AACVPR Certified Cardiac Rehabilitation services including exercise, nutrition and stress management support. Our patients are accepted on a rolling admission, and are cardiac monitored throughout the program, with written reports to their provider. We can help you recover from cardiac events or heart procedures.
We can also help you manage heart failure. By participating in the Cardiac Rehabilitation program you can recover more quickly, improve your ability to perform daily activities, and reduce your risk and the severity of future heart disease.
American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Certified.
Hours: Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. -4:00 p.m.
Cardiac issues can affect your daily life. We diagnose and treat a wide variety of cardiac issues at Guthrie Cortland Cardiology. Our Cardiologists are Board Certified with advanced medical training in the treatment of a broad spectrum of cardiac disorders.
Specialty interests include but are not limited to:
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Structural Heart Disease
- Valvular disease
- Heart failure
- Implantable device therapy
- Clinical cardiology
- Pre-operative cardiac evaluations
- Stress testing
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM
Call to Schedule an Appointment: 607-756-3560
Our digital mammography unit provides a comfortable, quicker, and more detailed mammogram. In just a few seconds, a high-resolution, clear image of the breast is obtained with less overall radiation to the breast. Your test results are read immediately, so you can go home with peace of mind or the answers you and your doctor need for next steps.
- Monday: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday: appointments are also available.
To schedule a mammogram, please ask your primary care provider to refer you to our imaging department, or call (607) 756-3794 for assistance.
Confident Woman Post-Mastectomy Boutique
Located at 160 Homer Avenue, the staff of the Confident Woman Boutique is your resource for personalized fittings as well as a variety of post-mastectomy products including breast forms, bras, and skin care products.
- Monday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Call 607-756-3880 to schedule a private consultation or fitting appointment
Our emergency department is open 24 hours, 7 days a week and is staffed by professionals with specialized training in emergency medicine as well as certifications in Advanced Life Support, Advanced Trauma Life Support, and Pediatric Advance Life Support.
Recent improvements such as bedside registration have cut our patient waiting times in half. Most patients see a physician less than 30 minutes after arriving in the reception area.
Used Needle Return
- In order to be accepted, all needles must be placed in a rigid, puncture resistant container with a sealed lid. A detergent container will be appropriate, as long as it has a lid that is securely on the container. The outside of this container must be clean and dry. GCMC does not provide containers to the public.
- Used needles can be accepted Monday through Friday from 6:00am to 5:00 pm and from 8:00am to 12:00 noon on Saturday in the Laboratory. Questions? Call 607-756-3610
Prescription Drug Disposal
Prescription drugs that are no longer needed can be dropped off at the drug disposal kiosk at Guthrie Cortland Medical Center Emergency Department, open 24 hours a day, Monday-Sunday. Disposing of unused medication ensures that they will not be used for purposes beyond their original intent. Dropping them off at the kiosk is a safe and environmental responsible way to dispose of them.
Mobile Crisis Line
If you or a loved one is experiencing a mental health crisis, please call the Cortland County Crisis Line at 607-756-3771.
Gastroenterology & Hepatology
Stomach pain issues with the digestive tract can affect your daily life. The gastroenterologists at Guthrie Cortland Medical Center are board-certified with advanced medical training in the diagnosis and treatment of a broad spectrum of gastrointestinal disorders.
Specialty interests include, but are not limited to:
- Colorectal cancer screening
- Crohn’s Disease Diseases of the gallbladder, liver, and pancreas
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Weight loss management
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 607-299-7070, Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To qualify for home care services, patients must have a physician, meet the definition of homebound and have the need for short-term, skilled health services. We accept referrals from hospitals, short term rehabilitation, physicians and community services.
Let Guthrie Home Care tailor a care solution to meet your needs. We will help you recover in the comfort and safety of your own home while ensuring you maintain your independence with compassionate, quality care.
Imaging and Radiology
Guthrie Cortland Imaging and Radiology provides a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic imaging studies. We are proud to offer the very best in MRI technology for miles around – our state-of-the-art, open-bore, Siemens Magnetom Aera 1.5T.
Our imaging and radiology services include:
- Bone density scans
- Computed Tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Digital mammography with computer assisted detection and including screening, diagnostic and biopsy procedures
- Emergency and trauma imaging
- Interventional radiology services
- Nuclear medicine
- Ultrasound (including vascular and obstetric ultrasound)
- X-Ray and fluoroscopy
For information on outpatient medical imaging services and hours, or to schedule an appointment, call 607-756-3794.
Guthrie Cortland Medical Center features a full-service laboratory accredited by the Joint Commission Accrediting Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and inspected by the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH). Our team is comprised of a Medical Director, a technical director and laboratory technologists licensed by the state of New York in their specialty and phlebotomists who perform blood draws for both inpatients and outpatients. A second outpatient laboratory is conveniently located in our family medicine office at 4077 West Road.
Medical Center Lab Hours
- Monday: 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Friday: 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
West Road Laboratory Hours:
- Monday: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Maternity - Labor and Delivery Care
Compassionate care for moms and babies
The birth of your baby is one of life's most memorable experiences. Guthrie Cortland Medical Center is your best choice for obstetrical and maternity care, and our experience proves it. Last year, over 500 families trusted us with bringing their children into the world. Guthrie Cortland’s maternity department is regularly recognized for its high-quality care, and for the second year in a row, received the Blue Distinction Center for Maternity Care designation. Make us a part of your family too!
Labor and Delivery: 607-756-3750
Birthing Suites at Guthrie Cortland Medical Center
Our maternity unit, as well as labor and delivery area, provide a more comfortable, home-like atmosphere for you and your baby. Our Labor/Delivery/Recovery (LDR) area has five private rooms that include private bathrooms with showers and whirlpool tubs for soaking and relaxing while you anticipate the arrival of your new baby. After delivery and recovery, you and your baby are taken to the nearby mother/baby unit. 24-hour rooming in with your baby is strongly encouraged.
Here is a preview of what you can expect when you choose Guthrie Cortland Medical Center to deliver your baby.
Breastfeeding Support - Give You and Your Baby a Healthy Start
Breastfeeding is one of the best things that you can do for yourself and your baby. More than 75% of all new mothers in New York choose to breastfeed their babies. Breast milk has nutrients that are easy to digest and antibodies that protect infants from illness. For moms who choose to breastfeed past the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendation of six months, there are additional benefits for the baby, including reduced risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), ear infections, diabetes, obesity and certain childhood cancers as well as better overall health. Mothers who breastfeed recover more quickly from childbirth, return more quickly to pre-pregnancy weight, and are less likely to develop certain breast and ovarian cancers.
At Guthrie Cortland Medical Center, we believe in the importance of breastfeeding and we are here to provide you with the help you and your baby need to succeed. Our staff Certified Lactation Counselors (CLC) and International Board Certified Consultants (IBCLC) are specially trained to help moms and babies with breastfeeding.
While in our care, our CLCs can help moms with the following:
- Prenatal breastfeeding counseling
- Help with positioning and latch
- Prevention and management of breast pain and engorgement
- Establishing and increasing milk production
- Support when mom and baby are separated due to work, medical, or educational commitments.
Learn more about the benefits of breastfeeding for you and your baby.
Mental Health Services
Guthrie Cortland Medical Center offers both psychiatric evaluation services and inpatient treatment for adult patients in our 11-bed, secured unit.
Patients are evaluated and supervised by a team of skilled mental health professionals including board-certified psychiatrists, registered nurses, psychiatric technicians, and social workers/therapists. Our mental health team is skilled at assessing the status and treatment needs of patients presenting with emergency issues, and in recommending appropriate inpatient treatment or referral for outpatient follow-up in the community.
If you or a loved one is experiencing a mental health crisis, please call the Cortland County Crisis Line at 607-756-3771.
You and your primary care provider (PCP) are partners, with a common goal of keeping you healthy. Your PCP understands your medical history and any chronic conditions you are dealing with. They know when it is time to start screenings, such as mammograms or colonoscopies, and when you should receive vaccinations.
If a medical problem comes up, your PCP will work with you to make a plan to address it – medication, lifestyle changes, or working with a specialist.
Annual Medicare wellness visits available, click here to learn more.
Rehabilitation and Therapy Services
Guthrie Cortland Medical Center Rehabilitation Services provides a wide range of physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, and other specialty services for patients of all ages. Our team of skilled clinicians and therapists will work with you to identify your needs and develop a plan to meet your goals for living an active, healthy life.
Specialty services include:
- Balance Rehabilitation uses a customized, individualized exercise program to decrease dizziness, improve balance, and restore daily functional activities and safety.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation helps you recover more quickly from cardiac events or heart procedures, improve your ability to perform daily activities, and reduce your risk and the severity of future heart disease.
- Hand Therapy and Upper Extremity Rehabilitation addresses injuries and conditions of the hand, forearm, and shoulder. This includes post-op/trauma/repetitive strain injuries and splinting.
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation helps to improve the movement of your muscles, joints, bones and ligaments after injury or surgery. We will work with you to strengthen and stretch the affected area until you achieve normal range of motion and your pain has subsided. We will also discuss with you how to prevent future injuries, while improving your ability to safely perform everyday tasks.
- Pediatric Therapies help children from pre-K through high school improve physical, speech, and occupational limitations in a state-of-the-art setting on our main medical campus. To qualify for school-based therapy, children must show significant challenges that affect their academic performance. All services are performed by licensed and highly trained occupational, speech, and physical therapists.
- Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation involves therapy for the pelvic muscles, which support pelvic organs, control bladder and bowel function, as well as sexual activity.
- Post-Concussion Care includes treatments aimed at improving balance, vision, and the ability to concentrate. In many cases, this post-concussion care is crucial to maximize recovery.
- Speech Therapy offers diagnostic and treatment services for a variety of conditions related to disorders affecting your speech, language, and swallowing abilities. Our speech-language pathologists will work with you to improve your speaking function after illness and trauma. We are proud to offer Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES), cutting-edge technology, which helps us to study and treat swallowing disorders.
- Vision Therapy involves a progressive program of exercises used to correct visual problems to improve reading and learning. It is executed by an occupational therapist working in collaboration with an eye care specialist.
Guthrie Cortland’s Respiratory Care team is responsible for all invasive and non-invasive mechanical ventilation as well as treatment of outpatient respiratory conditions such as asthma and COPD. We also offer cancer and asthma screenings, home oxygen qualifications, and smoking cessation support.
Outpatient respiratory care services include:
- Asthma and COPD treatment
- Pulmonary function testing
- Arterial blood gas testing
- FeNo testing (nitric oxide testing)
- Nocturnal oximetry
- High-altitude simulation testing
- Lung expansion therapy
- Respiratory medication usage
For more information or to schedule an evaluation, call our respiratory care department at 607-756-3807.
Guthrie Cortland Medical Center’s state-of-the-art surgical suites and procedure rooms are designed to deliver high-quality care and great surgical results. Our experienced perioperative staff and two extensively trained general surgeons perform a wide variety of invasive and non-invasive surgical procedures including:
- Appendectomies (primarily lapraroscopic)
- Biopsy procedures
- Bowel resections and repair
- Breast biopsies, lumpectomies and mastectomies
- Gallbladder removal (primarily laparoscopic)
- Hernia repair
- Insertion of intravenous devices (chemotherapy and infusion services)
- Insertion of loop recorders and pacemakers
- Reflux procedures (including Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication)
Our surgical team is further supported by other Guthrie Cortland specialists in:
- Orthopedics & Sports Medicine – featuring Conformis custom-fitted joint replacement
Whether your condition is common or complex our Urology Team is highly trained in robotic surgery and experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of urologic issues in men and women. Specialties include, but are not limited to prostate cancer screening, urinary tract infections, incontinence, pelvic floor dysfunction, kidney stones, benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), erectile dysfunction (ED), low testosterone, vasectomies, Urolift procedures for BPH, bladder, prostate, kidney and testicular cancers.
Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Call to schedule an appointment: 607-428-5757
4077 West Road
Cortland, NY 13045
For Immediate non-Emergency Care:
- Cold Sores
- Sore Throat
- Tick bites
- Flu symptoms
- Pregnancy Test
- Respiratory Infections
We offer specialized, advanced wound care treatment to patients with any non-healing wound. No provider referral required. We participate with most insurance carriers.
Cortland West Road
4005 West Rd.
Cortland, NY 13045
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (Closed on Major US Holidays)