A long history of service and growth
Guthrie Medical Group
Guthrie Medical Group is a multispecialty group practice that was founded in 1910 by Dr. Donald Guthrie. Within a year of his arrival, Dr. Guthrie expanded services at Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital as he recruited physician specialists to join Guthrie, which he intended to model after the Mayo Clinic where he had just completed his residency.
Learning and Education
Academics are a distinguishing characteristic of the Guthrie organization, which date back to 1901 when the School of Nursing was founded. The Donald Guthrie Research Foundation started in 1942 and with funds from the Emily Guthrie Estate the Guthrie Research Institute was formed in 1980. Guthrie's commitment to learning and education includes the Internal Medicine Residency program in 1958, General Surgery Residency program in 1959, and the Family Practice Residency program in 1993.
Guthrie has grown in size and capability in the last century, and now serves as a major regional referral center where more than 1,600 physicians send their patients. In 1977, Guthrie opened its first regional office in Troy, Pa. Today Guthrie has 25 regional offices located throughout the regional to provide primary care and outreach specialty care and testing to its patients close to where they live.
Today, one of the longest established group practices in the country, Guthrie has more than 295 primary and specialty care physicians and 175 advance practice practitioners that provide comprehensive care for 200,000 patients in 25 regional offices and four hospitals in the Twin Tiers region of northern Pennsylvania and southern New York. Guthrie’s commitment to its core values of patient centeredness, teamwork and excellence—the defining values upon which Guthrie Clinic was founded—remains robust and unchanging.