Gynecological Care, from Common to Complex
Guthrie provides a full range of gynecological care for women, including annual exams, family planning, surgical services and minimally invasive surgical options. From routine screenings to more complex reproductive health, we offer care that fits you.
Annual wellness visits for women include a pelvic exam, during which your doctor visually and physically checks your reproductive system. You may also need a pelvic exam if you're experiencing symptoms such as unusual vaginal discharge or pelvic pain.
Your provider may do a Pap smear with your pelvic exam. A Pap smear is performed by collecting cells from your cervix to screen for cervical cancer. Having an annual Pap smear is the best way to screen for cervical cancer; early detection gives you more treatments options and a better chance of a cure. A Pap smear can also detect changes in your cervical cells that suggest cancer may develop in the future.
You and your provider can discuss when and if a Pap smear is appropriate for you.
Medication and non-invasive procedures can relieve symptoms of a variety of conditions. When they are not an option, surgery is an effective treatment.
Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery enables most women to return to daily activities sooner and with less discomfort than traditional surgery, and can be used to treat a variety of health concerns:
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Family planning/permanent birth control
- Gynecologic cancer
- Menstrual disorders
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic prolapse
Types of minimally invasive surgery:
- Laparoscopic surgery utilizes a very small abdominal incision through which a thin video camera and surgical instruments are inserted. The video camera allows the surgeon to view the surgical site and work through a minimal incision.
- Robot-assisted surgery combines the laparoscopic techniques with the extraordinary dexterity and precision of robotic arms. Operating through the small incisions, the surgeon's hands are translated into smaller movements, allowing for delicate work in small spaces.
- Vaginal approach involves a small incision in the vagina, which may not require an external incision.
Whether you’re planning for children in the future, deciding when to have your next child, or have decided not to have children, Guthrie offers multiple family planning options. Guthrie gynecologists and family medicine providers are available to discuss all your options and allow you to decide which method is right for you.
Options available at Guthrie include:
- Prescription birth control
- Office procedure implants, IUD (intrauterine device)
- Surgical options including tubal ligation