Mammography is the Best Screening Method for Detecting Breast Cancer
Catching breast cancer early through regular annual screenings is vital. Learn about mammography at Guthrie, locations, and current screening recommendations based off of the most recent guidelines.
To schedule an appointment call 866-GUTHRIE (866-488-4743)
- Guthrie Big Flats - 31 Arnot Road, Horseheads, NY
- Guthrie Cortland Medical Center - 134 Homer Avenue, Cortland, N.Y. Call 607-756-3795 to make an appointment.
- Guthrie Ithaca - 1780 Hanshaw Road, Ithaca, NY
- Guthrie Corning Hospital
- Guthrie Owego - 1246 State Route 38, Owego, NY
- Guthrie Southport - 1336 Cedar Street, Elmira, NY
- Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital
- Guthrie Towanda Memorial Hospital
- Guthrie Troy Community Hospital
- Guthrie Wellsboro - 110 Plaza Lane, Wellsboro, PA
What is a Mammogram?
A mammogram uses x-ray to look at the inner structure of the breast. Radiologists looking at mammography images can detect cancer when it is too small to be felt.
The breast is compressed under a paddle as images are acquired. We use 2D mammography, which takes images in two views, and 3D mammography, which takes multiple images from many angles.
3D Mammography, or breast tomosynthesis, is the best imaging technology for screening women with dense breasts or who are at high risk for developing breast cancer. It allows the doctor to view many thin segments of breast tissue much like the pages of a book. This results in a clearer and more comprehensive view of breast tissue.
Who Should Get a Mammogram and When?
Average Risk: Beginning at age 40, every woman should get a screening mammogram annually.
High Risk: Women at higher risk should talk to their doctor about the appropriate age to start screenings and how often is appropriate. Groups who are at higher risk for developing breast cancer can include:
- Genetic mutation known to greatly increase breast cancer risk including BRCA 1 or 2
- Family history of breast cancer, even without a genetic abnormality
- History of chest radiation under age 30
- Prior breast biopsy showing abnormal cells
- Women of Ashkenazi Jewish decent
Learn more about High Risk for Breast Cancer.
Mammography at Guthrie
- We have a team of specially trained breast radiologists who read high volumes of breast images every day.
- We offer 3D mammography and breast MRI for women with dense breasts or who are at high risk for developing breast cancer.
- Designated Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR).
- Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pa.
- Guthrie Corning Hospital in Corning, N.Y.
- All Guthrie Mammography locations are accredited by the American College of Radiology.