A storied history and the future of health care in Cortland
Dr. Donald Guthrie arrived in Sayre in 1910 with a vision to provide the rural Pennsylvania community with the same high level of medical care available to residents of large cities.
With the Mayo Clinic as his model, Dr. Guthrie brought together physicians with expertise in several areas of medicine and surgery. This multi-specialty group practice, considered innovative in the early 1900s, is now the standard of integrated care.
More than 100 years later, Guthrie has grown in both size and capabilities, with five hospital campuses, regional clinics in over 20 communities, and more than 650 providers in primary and specialty care such as cardiology, oncology and surgical services. Research and education continue to be a focus, and Guthrie now offers three clinical fellowships and eight residencies.
- 1910: Dr. Donald Guthrie arrives at Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre
- 1928: First Guthrie clinic building opens
- 1942: Donald Guthrie Foundation is formed
- 1958: Residency programs begin
- 1977: First regional office opens in Troy, Pa.
- 1980: Guthrie Research Institute is formed
- 1985: Troy Hospital joins Guthrie
- 1999: Corning Hospital joins Guthrie
- 2010: Cardiovascular Fellowship begins
- 2013: New Guthrie Troy Community Hospital opens
- 2014: New Guthrie Corning Hospital opens
- 2015: Towanda Hospital joins Guthrie
- 2015: Primary care sites certified as Patient-Centered Medical Homes
- 2016: Guthrie Now video visits are launched
- 2019: Gastroenterology Fellowship begins
- 2019: Emergency Medicine Residency begins
- 2021: Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship begins
- 2021: Anesthesiology Residency begins
- 2022: Guthrie Ithaca City Harbor opens
- 2022: Twin Tiers Eye Care joins Guthrie
Guthrie in Cortland
Cortland Regional Center and Regional Medical Practice joined Guthrie in 2019 with a rich 125-year history.
Since 2019, Guthrie has invested in Cortland to expand care options, improve facilities, recruit providers and upgrade technology --- all to provide you the best care possible close to home.
- 2019: Guthrie Cortland Walk-In opens
- 2020: Guthrie purchases Cortland radiation oncology practice
- 2020: Electronic medical record and new patient portal eGuthrie launched
- 2021: The Renzi Cancer Center at Guthrie Cortland Medical Center opens
- 2022: Guthrie Cortland Medical Center earns five stars from HealthGrades for C-section and vaginal delivery
- 2022: Guthrie Cortland Medical Center named high performing hospital by U.S. News & World Report for treatment of pneumonia
- 2022: Guthrie Cortland OB/GYN opens on Groton Avenue
- 2022: All Cortland rehabilitation services joined under one roof
We are proud of Guthrie’s history of quality care and innovation, and we look forward to building upon that history to create the future of health care in Cortland.
Future investments will include:
- Emergency department upgrades
- Behavioral health facility upgrades
- Parking updates
- Medical imaging improvements
- Technology upgrades, including better Wi-Fi