At the Guthrie Cancer Center, we offer comprehensive support services for you and your support team. We provide resources for any emotional, spiritual and mental support you may need. Our programs include:
Oncology Nurse Navigators
Guthrie offers Oncology Navigators to help lung and breast cancer patients and their support team throughout diagnosis and treatment. Our oncology navigators will help you and your family by:
- Helping you understand the nature of your specific diagnosis and treatment plans.
- Making educational materials available to you and/or your caregivers.
- Answering questions throughout the treatment journey.
- Ensuring that your case has a multidisciplinary, team-based approach to your care.
- Assisting in locating additional community information and resources.
Oncology Social Worker
At Guthrie, a dedicated oncology social worker is available to provide you and your family with practical and psychosocial support during your treatment. We can help with discharge planning and the coordination of home care. In addition, we can provide you and your family with counseling, or information about support groups, to help in adjusting to life after cancer treatment.
Palliative focuses on relief of pain, symptoms and the stress of your diagnosis. Palliative care is intended for patients of all ages, in all stages of illness and can be provided in conjunction with curative care. By improving the quality of life for individuals living with chronic, progressive and terminal illnesses, patients are able to live comfortably and enjoy time with their family. Our palliative care services include:
- Comprehensive, coordinated services from an inter-disciplinary team including nurses, social workers, chaplains and physicians.
- Support for the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of patients and families.
- Answers, assistance and support for patients and families when making difficult medical decisions.