Guthrie plastic surgeons are experienced in assessing, treating, and skin grafting all acute skin injuries, including burns, frostbite, and related skin conditions. Our team uses a multi-disciplinary approach to burn care and rehabilitation in conjunction with wound care services, nurses, occupational therapy, physical therapy, nutritionists and trauma.
In addition, our physicians have experience in delayed burn care, including contracture release, scar improvement and staged reconstruction of areas such as the nose, mouth, ears, hands, etc.
Acute conditions treated at Guthrie include:
- Burns (thermal, chemical, electrical and radiation)
- Skin conditions (ie Epidermolysis bullosa, Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN))
- Assistance with burn assessment and triage to accredited regional burn centers
Delayed reconstruction performed after burns include:
- Contracture release (z-plasty release, excision and skin grafting, or laser release)
- Cosmetic scar improvement (laser treatment, abrasion, or steroid injections)
- Reconstruction of specialized areas burned in the past (nose, mouth, ears, hands, genitalia)