Guthrie and Temple Heart Failure Treatment Collaboration
Heart failure can often be managed with medication and lifestyle adjustments, but if you have advanced heart failure, more advanced interventions may be necessary. Guthrie Heart Failure Program operates in collaboration with the Temple Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Program. You can receive advance care close to home.
How It Works
You can receive care for heart failure in Sayre, Pa, from Guthrie heart specialists. Our collaboration with the Temple Heart Transplant Program, located at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia, allows you streamlined access to Temple’s program if you need a heart transplant. After transplant, you return to Guthrie for the majority of your post-transplant care.
To make an appointment at the Guthrie Heart Failure Clinic, call 866-GUTHRIE.
Benefits of the Program
Two teams working together for coordinated care.
- Pre- and post-transplant testing and appointments with Guthrie physicians close to home.
- Temple’s list-to-transplant rate is the best in the country
- Temple physicians have pioneered methods to make donor organs more available and avoid post-transplant complications through Temple’s research program
- Dual-organ transplant surgical expertise
- Temple heart transplant team’s patient survival rates are above national averages
- Patients who choose the program may be able to access discounted housing at the Gift of Life Family House, a “home away from home” for transplant patients and families who travel to Philadelphia for care. Gift of Life Family House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization that is not affiliated with Guthrie or Temple
For information about heart transplant at the Temple Heart and Vascular Institute, visit heart.templehealth.org.