What is Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)?
TAVR is a procedure to replace the aortic valve in the heart using a small catheter or tube about the diameter of a pencil. This eliminates the need for traditional open-heart surgery. The catheter is commonly inserted through an artery in the groin. In most cases, the procedure usually takes about two hours.
The new valve, which is made of natural material, is stitched inside a metal stent that is placed inside the patient's own aortic valve through the catheter. The procedure is done while the heart is still beating, eliminating the need for a heart lung bypass machine.
Who is a candidate for TAVR?
If you have severe or moderate aortic stenosis, you can ask for a consultation at the Guthrie Heart Valve Clinic. During the consultation, you will meet with our team of heart and valve specialists. The team creates the right treatment plan for your health and stage of the disease. Not everyone will need the TAVR procedure. Plans may include medications, TAVR or other surgeries.
Benefits of TAVR
TAVR does not require open-heart surgery, cardiopulmonary bypass or general anesthesia. When you have the surgery, you may experience:
- Ability to stay awake during the procedure
- A shorter hospital stay. Most patients can go home the next day.
- Faster recovery period
TAVR at Guthrie
- Guthrie Heart Valve Clinic – you have a team to help you with heart valve disease. Cardiothoracic surgeons, interventional cardiologists, and vascular surgeons work together with you to develop a treatment plan. Plans can include medicines as well as surgical treatments to repair or replace a valve.
- Guthrie Heart and Vascular Care Center, located in Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital, is a state-of-the-art space for heart and vascular surgeries and procedures. Located near the emergency department and ICU, there are private patient rooms, cardiac catheterization labs, and a hybrid operating room. The unit is centered around quick efficient care of our patients.
- Hybrid operating room – a state-of-the-art operating room with real-time, high-resolution digital imaging capabilities allowing for complex surgeries and studies to take place simultaneously with an integrated team of heart and valve specialists.
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs in four locations: Guthrie Healthworks in Corning; Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital; Robert Packer Hospital, Towanda Campus; and Troy Community Hospital.
- Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital was the first in the region to offer TAVR. Guthrie has now performed more than 400 TAVR procedures, putting you in the hands of a highly experienced team.