The Guthrie High Risk Breast Cancer Clinic offers women at high risk for breast cancer specialized services for their breast health. Our breast specialists help you understand your personal risk factors for breast cancer and level of risk and develop a personalized plan for breast cancer screening and prevention.
To schedule an appointment call 570-887-2853
How do I know if I am High Risk?
All Guthrie mammography patients are evaluated for high risk factors at mammography screening appointments. Women who have a greater than 20% lifetime calculated risk for developing breast cancer are considered high risk.
Women may be at increased risk for breast cancer due to:
- family history of breast cancer
- dense breast tissue
- previous abnormal breast biopsies
- hormonal replacement therapy
- history of chest radiation
- other risk factors
Why is the High Risk Breast Clinic important to my health?
Cancer caught in early stages is more treatable than cancer caught later. Screening is important for early detection. Women at average risk can be screened annually starting at age 40 (ACR recommendation). Women at higher risk are recommended to have more intense screening which may include MRI.
We help you monitor your breast health. When you meet with the breast specialists at the High Risk Breast Cancer Clinic, you will:
- Have your breast cancer risk calculated.
- Develop an individualized breast cancer screening plan.
- Discuss options for risk reduction.
- Get genetic counseling and testing if appropriate.
- Have ongoing screening visits with Guthrie’s breast specialists.
M. Firdos Ziauddin, MD, FACS
Melissa Cantellops, FNP