Structure of the Fellowship Program
Pulmonary Medicine Consultation Service
Each fellow serves six months on the consult service diagnosing and managing hospitalized patients with a wide variety of pulmonary diseases. Fellows will also rotate in the bronchoscopy suite and learn pulmonary procedures. Fellows will also learn non-invasive ventilation for respiratory failure.
Critical Care Medicine
Each fellow spends nine months in the medical intensive care unit which is staffed by pulmonary and critical care faculty. Each fellow also spends three months in the surgical intensive care unit working with a dedicated surgical critical care team. The surgical intensive care unit cares for patients with a wide variety of surgical related diseases including cardiac surgery, neurosurgery and trauma.
Critical Care Ultrasound and Echocardiography
Fellows will follow a dedicated curriculum for critical care ultrasound and echocardiography. There will be didactic lectures hand on training is image acquisition and interpretation. Advanced echocardiography pathway will be available for fellows interested in obtaining NBE certification for critical care echocardiography.
Each fellow has a continuity clinic at the Pulmonary Ambulatory Clinic one-half day per week. Ambulatory care electives are also available.
Each fellow spends a dedicated time in the Pulmonary Function Lab, which involves one on one didactics and hands on learning. Fellows will gain experience in spirometry, lung volume measurement, high altitude simulation test, bronchoprovocation challenge testing, exercise spirometry, cardiopulmonary exercise testing
Each fellow spends a dedicated time at the sleep disorders clinic and Clinical Neurophysiology Laboratory, which involves one on one didactics and hands on learning. Fellows will learn how to interpret sleep studies and manage complex sleep disorders.
Our program is designed to enhance fellow’s understanding of research techniques. Total of 6 months of research time is provided. We have a dedicated faculty member as research mentor. Fellows will be assigned a research project in their first year of fellowship and they are expected to complete the project by the end of their fellowship. Poster presentation in national level pulmonary critical care conferences is also highly encouraged. There are regular journal club meetings and literature review conferences. The faculty prides itself on outstanding academic achievements and mentoring.
Elective rotations are designed to help fellows follow their specific interests. Electives will be within the Guthrie hospitals. However, outside electives in academic centers will also be considered on individual basis.
Fellows will be trained in basic and advanced pulmonary procedures.
Basic Pulmonary procedures
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
- Transbronchial biopsies
Advanced Pulmonary procedures
- Linear endobronchial ultrasound
- Radial endobronchial ultrasound
- Balloon dilatation
- Argon Plasma coagulation
- Cryotherapy and cryobiopsy
- Indwelling pleural catheter placement
PCCM Fellowship Block Schedule 7/2020-6/2021—Both fellows are PGY-4
|Dates||Fellow/Blk||CC||Fellow A||CC||Fellow B|
|7/1-7/28||1||MICU||Tues pm||Inpt||Thurs pm|
|7/29-8/25||2||Inpt||Thurs pm||MICU||Tues pm|
|8/26-9/22||3||MICU||Tues pm||Inpt||Thurs pm|
|9/23-10/20||4||Inpt||Thurs pm||MICU||Tues pm|
|10/21-11/17||5||Outpt||Thurs pm||Elective||Tues pm|
|11/18-12/15||6||MICU||Tues pm||Inpt||Thurs pm|
|12/16-1/12||7||Elective||Thurs pm||Outpt||Tues pm|
|1/13-2/9||8||Inpt||Thurs pm||MICU||Tues pm|
|4/7-5/4||11||MICU||Tues pm||Inpt||Thurs pm|
|5/5-6/1||12||Rch||Tues pm||Rch||Thurs pm|
|6/2-6/30||13||Inpt||Thurs pm||MICU||Tues pm|
- One Block is 4 weeks and begins on 7/1, inclusive of orientation.
- MICU=Medical Critical Care—Includes ICU Procedures ).
- SICU=Surgical Critical Care (PGY-4—1).
- Inpt=Pulmonary inpatient/Inpatient consult service—Includes Inpatient Procedures (PGY-4—4).
- Outpt=Pulmonary Outpatient Clinic—Includes Outpatient Procedures and PFTs (PGY-4—1).
- Rch=Research (PGY-4—1).
- Elective (PGY-4—2)
- Elective time may be used for research.
- Vacation time will be granted upon request and approval by the PD, preferentially during Elective and Research rotations. It can be scheduled during the Inpt or Outpt rotations if rotation time is made up during scheduled elective or research time.
- ½ day Continuity Clinic (CC) for all Fellows when on MICU, Inpt, Outpt, Rch and Elective (unless away elective) rotations. Tues pm for MICU fellow or either fellow, if no MICU fellow during that block. Thurs pm for a fellow not on MICU. Only 1 fellow per session.
- Call will be no more than 1 weekday per week and 1 weekend (Sat and Sun) combined or split, per block (4 weeks). Fellows will take call on Inpt, MICU and Outpt rotations. No PCCM call on other rotations, PCCM fellow call will be home call. The PCCM fellow call schedule will be made by the most senior fellows and approved by the PD or APD (in absence of PD). It will be made independently of the attending schedule.
- Protected education time: Monday 1200-1300; Wednesday (1st- 4th) 1530-1730; Thursday 0700-0800 (Competency forum days) and 0730-0830 (Pulm-Onc Conf days--For fellow presenting a patient or when on Inpt or Outpt services); Friday 1200-1300 (Grand rounds)