Weight loss surgery (also known as metabolic or bariatric surgery) is a proven method for reducing weight and improving health in patients with clinically severe obesity. Bariatric surgery can also reduce or eliminate many obesity-related health problems. Several of our weight loss surgery patients report remission of their type 2 diabetes, experience a better night’s sleep and have a reduced risk for many of the health issues they had prior to surgery, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, back and joint pains, sleep apnea, and many others.
Guthrie has been accredited as a Comprehensive Center by the American College of Surgeons and American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Our weight loss team has developed a fully integrated program to help you after surgery, including:
- Nutrition counseling with our registered dieticians for guidance on healthy eating.
- An individualized program from our fitness specialist that is safe, enjoyable and sustainable.
- Psychological support from our licensed psychologist.
- Nurses and physician assistants specializing in the care of obese patients
- Private bariatric patient rooms in the hospital
- Support team working with bariatric patients – including physical therapy, respiratory therapy, and dieticians
The benefit of weight loss surgery is not only how you will feel and look, but the lifelong health benefits. By restoring your body to a healthy weight, you can often reduce, or even eliminate, many obesity-related health concerns, including:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Sleep apnea
- GERD (reflux or heartburn symptoms)
- Osteoarthritis / joint pain
- Fatty liver disease
- Mental health issues (depression, poor self-esteem, etc)
- Even reduce risk of certain cancers (eg: breast cancer, colon cancer, and others)