You may be a candidate for bariatric surgery if you have:
- Body Mass Index greater than 40 (BMI of 40), or
- Body Mass Index greater than 35 with certain obesity-related health problems, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, degenerative joint disease, or other obesity-related health problems
- Are at least 18 years of age
- Have tried more conservative weight loss measures such as dieting, exercise programs, or medically supervised weight loss programs
- Are committed to abstaining from tobacco and illegal substances (recreational drugs)
- Have a healthy support system that can help you succeed after surgery (friends and family)
- Are committed to eating healthier, staying physically active, and living a healthier lifestyle
- Are committed to following up with our bariatric program after surgery, so that we may work together to help you achieve the best results!
Take our quiz to see if weight loss surgery right for you
Find out in only 5 minutes
- Calculate your weight category: underweight, healthy weight, overweight or obese.
- See if weight loss is recommended for you.
- Learn factors you can change to become healthier.
- Print a profile to take to your next doctor’s appointment.
- Learn your BMI (body mass index)
What are the benefits of weight loss surgery?
Weight loss surgery (also known as metabolic or bariatric surgery) is a proven method for reducing weight and improving health in patients with clinically severe obesity.
By restoring your body to a healthy weight, you can often reduce, or even eliminate, many obesity-related health concerns, including:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Sleep apnea
- GERD (reflux or heartburn symptoms)
- Osteoarthritis / joint pain
- Fatty liver disease
- Mental health issues (depression, poor self-esteem, etc)
- Even reduce risk of certain cancers (eg: breast cancer, colon cancer, and others)
- Increased quality of life
Choosing bariatric surgery is a significant step that requires a long-term lifestyle commitment. Before we set your surgery date, we work with you to ensure you are prepared for the transition to a healthier you. But once you commit, you can begin losing weight after your very first appointment. We take the time to prepare you and teach you all the tools to be successful.
To get started, schedule a consultation to meet with a member of our team or call 570-886-9491 to learn more.