Volunteers play an important role in Guthrie’s success and in the lives of patients and their families. Our volunteers love to make a difference in our patients’ experience and with the staff they work with.
We invite you to join our volunteer team and begin making a difference – every patient, every time.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Makes productive use of your time
- Helps you develop new skills
- Provides an opportunity to meet new people and make new friends
- Keeps you healthy, provides exercise throughout your day
- Have fun with a team
- Enhances our services with your talents and compassion
Guthrie offers numerous recognitions and incentives for volunteers:
- Free parking, shuttle to the front door
- Volunteer newsletter
- Discounts on activities and services
- Annual recognition dinner and awards
- Free access to Club Guthrie exercise facility
- Annual flu immunization
- Meal voucher for the hospital cafeteria
- Monthly birthday luncheon
- Annual holiday celebrations
- Teen scholarship opportunity
Volunteers have a variety of options to share their talents and compassion for others. Please explore the list below to see how you can serve our staff, patients and community.
- Run errands around the hospital and clinic
- Provide clerical support and office phone coverage
- Serve amenities, snacks and beverages to patients through the Friendly Francis Program
- Greet and escort patients and visitors at entries and hallways
- Deliver flowers to patients
- Provide pastoral care by offering spiritual handouts and visiting with patients
- Escort eye surgery patients to procedure rooms
- Assemble packets, mailings and special projects in the workroom
- Visit with Cancer Center patients and assist as needed
- Knit or crochet hats for newborns
- Serve snacks and beverages to donors at blood drives
- Sew and stuff heart pillows
- And more
For more information about volunteering at Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital, call 570-887-4242 or email Volunteer_Department@guthrie.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often am I expected to volunteer?
We request that you volunteer at least 60 hours per year. Most hospital volunteers average two to four hours per shift.
How long does the application process take?
The typical timeframe is one week, depending on health office availability and orientation schedule. VolunTEEN onboarding takes two to three weeks.
What type of screening, medical tests or vaccinations are required to volunteer?
- Two non-family references
- Pennsylvania State Police, Pennsylvania Childline History and FBI Fingerprinting Background Check (if applicable)
- T-spot blood test for adults, tuberculosis test for teens
- Documentation of immunizations or titers (if applicable)
- Urine Drug Screen
- Annual flu shot
All medical tests, flu shots and immunization titers are completed at no cost to the volunteer during a scheduled appointment with the Guthrie Employee Health Office.
Background checks are processed at no cost to the volunteer and will be completed by the volunteer office at the time of orientation.
How do I prepare for my role?
After being cleared by the health office, volunteers attend a two-hour orientation and receive on-the-job training for their specific role. Opportunities to shadow a seasoned volunteer are available in most departments.
What are the requirements to remain a volunteer?
All volunteers must complete annual mandatory training requirements (Safety & Security, HIPAA and Compliance), receive an annual flu shot, and be an active volunteer.
What do I wear while volunteering?
All volunteers are required to wear a Guthrie volunteer ID badge and Guthrie provided volunteer vest. Business casual attire is appropriate; jeans, sweatpants, shorts, hats, excessive jewelry and facial piercings are not permitted. VolunTEENS are provided a Guthrie polo as their uniform.
If I apply and decide not to volunteer right away, how long will you keep my application?
Applications are kept for 90 days.
May I volunteer at Guthrie for court-ordered community service hours?
No. Guthrie does not accept court-ordered volunteers.
Will I have a better chance of getting a job within Guthrie if I volunteer?
Volunteering is a great way to enhance your resume, but it does not guarantee you a paid position.
Am I able to shadow a doctor of medical professional?
We do not offer shadowing experiences through the volunteer office. For more information about internships and shadowing, call Nursing or Medical Education.
Do you have any opportunities for volunteers who are interested in doing one activity, event or project?
We do have occasional requests for volunteers to work on special projects or to help with events.
- Click here to download an Adult Volunteer Application.
- Click here to download a letter to prospective volunteers and a VolunTEEN Application.