Quick and Easy Heart-Healthy Snacks
Healthy snacks such as these are an important part of a well-rounded eating plan.
When you need a snack, there are many good reasons to avoid the vending machine. Instead of chips, pretzels or candy, choosing nutritious snacks can satisfy your hunger while also promoting good health. Better-for-you options can also be delicious.
These heart-healthy snacks combine lean protein, healthy fat and/or wholesome carbs to keep cravings at bay between meals. They also contribute important vitamins and minerals to your diet, keep blood sugar levels on an even keel and help you stick to a weight control plan – all important factors when it comes to your heart health.
Each of these quick and easy snacks are under 200 calories:
- 1 rice cake spread with 1 tablespoon almond butter and sliced banana
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese topped with 3/4 cup berries
- 1 cup sliced cucumber and carrots with 1/4 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt mixed with 1 teaspoon honey, 10 chopped almonds and 4 ounces canned pineapple in its own juice
- 1/2 whole wheat pita stuffed with 1/4 cup water-packed light tuna, lettuce, tomato and cucumber slices
- 1 apple or pear with 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1/2 avocado drizzled with lemon juice and a dash of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup unshelled pistachio nuts
Copyright 2016-2022 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: March 3, 2021
Editorial Review: Andrea Cohen, Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Jane Schwartz, RD