Guthrie Awards Annual Health Professions and Employee Scholarships
A total of 14 scholarships were awarded through Guthrie’s Annual Health Professions and Employee Scholarship Programs.
“Guthrie is proud to provide assistance to local seniors as they pursue various fields of study,” said Dr. Michael Scalzone, Executive Vice President, Chief Quality Officer. “These scholarships not only benefit the families of our own employees but also support the future of health care in our community by keeping the expertise close to home.”
Four scholarships were given to children of Guthrie employees with no restrictions on academic career interest, while the remaining 10 scholarships were given to students throughout the region whose academic endeavors will be directly related to health care. All students will receive $650 a year for four years for undergraduate studies. This year’s winners are listed below.
Children of Employees Scholarships:
- Riley Cobb, Wyalusing Valley High School, daughter of Sharon Cobb (Physical Therapist, Guthrie Home Health), Elmira College
- McKenna Snyder, Cortland High School, daughter of Staci Snyder (Patient Service Specialist, Guthrie Cortland Medical Center), SUNY Broome Community College
- Joseph Buffone, Waverly High School, son of Michael Buffone (Clinical Data Analyst, Guthrie), Broome Community College
- Amy Kim, Horseheads High School, daughter of Jungwon Kim (LPN, Guthrie Big Flats), Binghamton University
Health Professions Scholarships:
- Ethan McFarland, Owego Free Academy, Union College Schenectady, N.Y.
- Elizabeth DeMarco, Tunkhannock Area High School, Pennsylvania State University
- Ryder Lathrop, Troy Area High School, Colgate University
- Riley David, North Penn-Mansfield High School, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Meisi Williams, Waverly High School, Corning Community College
- Gavin Ruddy, Hammondsport High School, Ithaca College
- Jakub Ziembicki, Elmira High School, University of Utah
- Averie Roberts, Groton High School, Collegiate University
- Alexis Ceiri, Johnson City High School, St. John Fisher College
- Eilie Holland, Marathon High School, Mansfield University
Guthrie is a non-profit integrated health system located in north central Pennsylvania and upstate New York, serving patients from a twelve-county service area. Guthrie is a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network and is the first health system based in Pennsylvania and New York to join this network. Guthrie is comprised of a research institute, home care/hospice, hospitals in Sayre, Pa., Corning, N.Y., Towanda, Pa., Troy, Pa. and Cortland, N.Y., as well as a multi-specialty group practice of more than 325 physicians and 210 advanced practice providers offering 47 specialties through a regional office network providing primary and specialty care in 22 communities in Pennsylvania and New York. In addition, Guthrie offers home medical equipment and respiratory therapy products at seven convenient Med Supply Depot locations. Guthrie provides a wide range of services and programs to enhance the health and well-being of those it serves.