If you are severely overweight, weight loss surgery could be right for you. To qualify for weight loss surgery you must meet a minimum Body Mass Index (BMI), which is a rough estimate of how much excess weight you carry in comparison to someone of your same sex and height who is considered to have a healthy weight. You may be a candidate for weight loss surgery if:
- You have a Body Mass Index greater than 40, or
- You have a Body Mass Index greater than 35 with certain obesity-related health problems, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, degenerative joint disease, or other obesity-related health problems
- Patients with Body Mass Index of 30 – 40 and certain associated health problems may qualify for the laparoscopic adjustable gastric band
Weight loss surgery could be right for you if you:
- Are at least 18 years of age
- Have tried more conservative weight loss measures such as dieting, exercise programs, or medically supervised weight loss programs
- Are committed to abstaining from tobacco and illegal substances (recreational drugs)
- Have a healthy support system that can help you succeed after surgery (friends and family)
- Are committed to eating healthier, staying physically active, and living a healthier lifestyle
- Are committed to following up with our bariatric program after surgery, so that we may work together to help you achieve the best results!
These are general guidelines. Every patient’s situation is unique, so you should consult with our surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for surgery.
Choosing weight loss surgery is a life-changing decision. Your commitment to life-long healthy living (including proper nutrition and exercise) will be key to your success in the long-term. Our weight loss team will be there with you every step of the way to help guide you through a successful weight loss journey!