Whether you are having a routine procedure or have an urgent issue that requires surgery, you are in good hands with our general surgery team. From emergency appendectomy to thyroid surgery to repairing a gallbladder, our surgeons are prepared to help you.
What is general surgery?
General surgeons perform a wide variety of surgical procedures.
Our surgeons are trained and provide care in the following areas:
- Gastrointestinal tract (gallbladder, colon, liver and pancreas)
- Abdomen (hernias, spleen, and retroperitoneum, the space between the peritoneum and the posterior abdominal wall)
- Endocrine system (thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal gland)
- Breast (skin, soft tissue and breast surgery)
- Surgical emergencies (trauma and appendicitis)
- Trauma and critical care
At Guthrie, our surgeons are board-certified and have advanced training in general surgery and surgical subspecialties. We use the latest diagnostic and surgical technologies including minimally invasive surgery. As opposed to open surgery, minimally invasive surgery is performed through small incisions, which means a shorter hospital stay and quicker, less painful recovery for you.
Our surgeons have extensive training in general surgery and specialized surgeries:
- Bariatric surgery
- Breast surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Pancreatic surgery
- Hepatobiliary surgery
- Liver surgery
- Surgical oncology
- Hernia surgery
- Trauma surgery