Support on Your Cancer Journey
Our team is here to support you from screening to diagnosis, through treatment and into survivorship. We will make sure you have all the resources you need to understand your treatment plan while supporting you every step of the way.
Cancer Support Team
- Nurse navigator - helps you understand your diagnosis and treatment plan and navigate the health care system. They schedule appointments and help with paperwork. They are also your advocate and provide emotional support.
- Social worker – assists you and your loved ones in dealing with emotional, social and financial stresses associated with a diagnosis. They also help identify helpful community resources.
- Patient financial advocate – assists patients with accessing programs that help with treatment-related medical costs.
- Chaplain – provides spiritual direction and support.
Cancer Support Services
- Support group – Provides emotional and social support for men and women with cancer. Meets every third Wednesday of the month at 10 a.m. at Guthrie Cancer Center – Sayre. Registration is not required, but it is encouraged for notification of meeting changes. For more information or to RSVP, contact Emily Scrivener, Social Worker for the Guthrie Cancer Center, at 570-887-2721.
- Palliative Care - Is specialized medical care for individuals with serious illnesses. This care is appropriate at any age, at any stage in a serious illness, and can be provided while you continue cancer treatments.
- Hospice Care - Is high-quality care that enables patients and families to focus on living, despite a life-limiting illness. Our professional registered hospice nurses and licensed practical nurses are trained to help families prepare and cope with a terminal illness and its effects on your life.
- Patient lending library - Made possible by the American Cancer Society and the Guthrie/Robert Packer Hospital Auxiliary, the patient lending library is stocked with books, DVDs and a computer with internet access to give you the tools you need to be as educated as possible about your cancer.
- American Cancer Society wig room – Wigs and head coverings are available through the American Cancer Society in Corning, Sayre and Wellsboro. Guthrie nurses and navigators are available to help with fitting and special orders.
- American Cancer Society resource room – The wig room is also stocked with educational pamphlets from the American Cancer Society.
- Cancer Support and Rehabilitation Directory - a list of resources available to cancer patients and their families in the region.
We recommend calling the business to inquire about services, hours of operation or additional information. If you encounter a business or service that is no longer operating, please let us know by calling 570-887-4566 or e-mail Corporate_Communications@guthrie.org
- Open Directory
Additional resources to help you and your family throughout your cancer care are available.