Often, surgery is the first method for diagnosing or treating cancer. The specialists at Guthrie treat many types of cancers with surgical procedures including breast surgery (link to breast surgery page), robotic surgery, (link to robotic surgery page), Mohs surgery (link to Skin Cancer page), Surgery can then be followed by other treatment including chemotherapy or radiation therapy. Guthrie surgical oncologists work together to provide the best possible outcomes.
Surgery may be performed to:
- Prevent cancer by removing growths.
- Determine the cancer Stage and progression.
- Remove the entire tumor (curative).
- Remove a majority of the tumor (tumor reduction).
- Alleviate pain or other complications (palliative surgery).
- Reconstruct affected areas (breast reconstruction, facial).