Our dedicated weight loss team will be with you each step of the way after your surgery!
- With the help of our nurses, you will be up and walking within a few hours after your surgery. You will also do deep breathing exercises.
- When do I go home after surgery?
The length of your hospital stay depends on the type of surgery you’ve had. At the Guthrie Weight Loss Center we perform our surgeries laparoscopically (minimally invasive fashion), and one of the principal advantages of this approach is a shorter hospital stay:
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band = overnight hospital stay
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy = 1 to 2 days in the hospital
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass = 2 days in the hospital
- Your post-surgery diet will start with liquids the morning after surgery. From there, you will progress to a puree diet, then solids.
- Bariatric surgery patients can return to work in as little as two weeks, and should not do any heavy lifting for four weeks.
- You will follow up with your physician at two weeks, three months, six months, one year and annually after that. Gastric band patients may require more frequent followup.