Stroke is a medical emergency and the 5th leading cause of death in the United States. When caught in the early stages, strokes can be successfully treated.
FACE DROOPING –Smile. Is the smile uneven or is one side drooping?
ARM WEAKNESS – Raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward or is one arm weak or numb?
SPEECH DIFFICULTY –Repeat a simple sentence. Is the sentence repeated correctly?
TIME TO CALL 9-1-1 – Call 9-1-1 if you show any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms disappear.
How can you help prevent stroke?
- Eat a healthy diet
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Quit smoking and avoid second hand smoke
- Treat high blood pressure, if you have it
- Control your blood sugar if you have diabetes
- Be physically active
- Schedule regular visits with your provider
Treatment for a stroke depends on its type and severity, and can involve a team including cardiology, neurosciences and rehabilitation specialists.