- 98% first-attempt pass rate on the American Board of Family Medicine Certification Examination. Only 14% of family medicine residency programs in existence for ten years have achieved this status.
- Faculty members have completed faculty development fellowships at the University Of North Carolina School of Medicine.
- One faculty member is fellowship trained in Sports Medicine.
- Full accreditation by the American Council on Graduate Medical Education since the beginning of the program
- Dually-accredited osteopathic and allopathic program
- Hands-on clinical experience
- First-class hospital facilities
- Night-float rotations
- Supportive of resident wellness
- Extensive learning opportunities in sports medicine, obstetrics, office-based procedures, hospital and rural medicine
- Future employment opportunity within the Guthrie System
Ready Access to Subspecialty Physicians
Nearly every field is represented in our large, multi-specialty group practice. The sub-specialists welcome the opportunity to consult and teach, and are readily accessible to Family Medicine residents.
Diverse Faculty with a Wide Variety of Interests
Residency training is an opportunity for human growth and development for both residents and faculty. Our faculty is diverse and includes physicians, nurse practitioners and psychologists. In addition to the core faculty, residents work with more than 100 physicians, coordinators of major inpatient services, community-based family physicians, psychologists and psychiatrists.
First-Class Hospital Facilities
Robert Packer Hospital is a university-affiliated tertiary care teaching hospital with up-to-date equipment and technology. The hospital and the Guthrie Medical Group share an electronic patient record, which enhances patient safety and continuity of patient care.
Superb Ancillary Services
Guthrie emphasizes education versus service for residents. Residents spend their time focusing on learning and are supported by a team of ancillary personnel with full 24/7 laboratory, phlebotomy, and transportation services available for patients.
Guthrie offers training in Internal Medicine and General Surgery. Our residents experience a collegial and noncompetitive atmosphere. Family Medicine residents are the primary residents for obstetrics and pediatrics.
Family medicine training at Guthrie provides residents with opportunities to visit patients in nursing homes and make house calls, perform sports physicals in the local schools, participate in sports events, and contribute to health education programs.
Resident wellness is supported through Balint training in the doctor-patient relationship, resident-faculty mentors, and personal and professional development groups. The atmosphere is cooperative and supportive, creating a pleasant work environment.
Guthrie is affiliated with the State University of New York, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY , and Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Erie, Pa.