Types of Anesthesia
If you are having surgery, the type of anesthesia your doctor recommends depends on many factors. These include your current health status and the procedure you are having. There are five types of anesthesia that are used to reduce and prevent pain:
Types of Anesthesia:
- Local anesthesia - Local anesthesia is anesthetic agents utilized by general practitioners to temporarily stop the sense of pain in a particular area of the body.
- Regional anesthesia - Regional anesthesia is used to numb only the portion of the body which will receive the surgical procedure.
- Spinal anesthetic - A spinal anesthetic is used for lower abdominal, pelvic, rectal, or lower extremity surgery.
- Epidural anesthetic - The epidural anesthetic is similar to a spinal anesthetic and is commonly used for surgery of the lower limbs and during labor and childbirth.
- General anesthesia - General anesthesia is an anesthetic used to induce unconsciousness during surgery.
Learn more about Guthrie Surgical Services.