Preparing for Your First Appointment
Preparing for your first appointment:
At your first appointment, your surgical oncologist will review any previous tests, procedures, or treatments. If you are a Guthrie patient, your physician has access to your electronic medical record. If you received treatment elsewhere, you will need to bring the following to your first appointment. Our team can assist you in gathering this information to prepare for the first appointment.
This is a description written by your physician detailing your medical conditions and any treatment you received. A medical summary will be needed from your primary care provider and any specialists seen.
Please bring a list of all medications you currently take, including:
- Prescribed medications from a physician.
- Over-the-counter medications.
- Herbal products.
Your medication list should indicate the following information:
- The name of each medicine.
- The dose you take.
- How often you take it.
Diagnostic tests include X-rays, CT scans, MRIs, PET scans, bone scans, stress tests, echocardiograms and electrocardiograms. Please provide images on disc or on film.
To obtain your diagnostic tests:
- Contact the hospital or radiology center where the images were taken.
- Request for the images and a written report on disc. If the images are not available on disc, then ask for the actual films.
Pathology Slides from Any Biopsies or Surgical Procedures
If you had a biopsy or surgery at another facility, please contact that office to request slides and a copy of the written report.
Insurance Card and Photo ID
We will need the name of your health insurance company, along with other information that appears on your health insurance card. In addition, please bring a photo ID. If you are covered by more than one insurer, please bring both cards.
Other Ways to Prepare for Your Appointment Include:
- Arrange for a friend or family member to come with you. You will receive a lot of information and it is helpful to have someone else there to take notes.
- Bring questions you may have. We welcome all questions.