Message from the Director
Thank you for your interest in Guthrie’s Family Medicine Residency Program. Our program is fully supported by Guthrie administrators and physicians. Its success is evidenced by our ability to expand our program at a time when many Family Medicine residencies are closing.
Guthrie Sayre medical office is located adjacent to Robert Packer Hospital, a tertiary care center located in rural Northeastern Pennsylvania. Both the Medical Group and the hospital have a longstanding reputation for excellence in both patient care and medical education. This assures you will participate in the care of patients with both usual and unusual conditions in an atmosphere of academic excellence.
Some of the advantages of the Guthrie Family Medicine residency include:
- Use of a fully-equipped simulation laboratory to perform various medical and surgical procedures.
- Diagnostic Ultrasound curriculum to improve residents’ knowledge and skill in using this mode of imaging in their practices.
- A Family Medicine inpatient service supervised by Family Medicine Faculty physicians serves as the basic educational experience for the care of hospitalized patients.
- The Family Medicine Center with more than 20,000 patient visits provides office-practice experience.
- Family Medicine residents spend a month in their second year at Golisano Children’s Hospital, Rochester, New York, to increase their knowledge of Pediatrics.
- Our Behavioral Medicine Director is nationally recognized for his scholarly activities in the Balint Society.
Medicine and Surgery Grand Rounds lectures are held each week. A core curriculum lecture series developed with the Internal Medicine Residency is held twice a week. A morning conference series is held daily. Our campus also has a Cardiology Fellowship.
Our goal in Family Medicine is to graduate personal physicians who will serve the people of rural Pennsylvania and New York and others who are underserved. They will have the knowledge and the skill to consistently care for 95% of their patients 95% of the time. The care of the patient is the center of all our professional and educational activities; the good of the patient is our reason for existence.
The Family Medicine Residency at the Guthrie Clinic/Robert Packer Hospital is dynamic, innovative and expanding. We expanded to an 18 resident program in October of 2009. Our goal is to be recognized as the premier U.S. Family Medicine Residency with an emphasis on Rural Family Medicine and the care of the underserved. If you are passionate about becoming the best physician you can be and are dedicated to our profession and our specialty, apply to our program. I look forward to meeting you.
Donald Phykitt, DO
Family Medicine Residency